10 Awesome Home Remedies To Cure A Smelly Vagina
Vaginal odour is a common problem faced by women across the world. Its causes could vary from yeast infections to pelvic inflammatory disease, poor hygiene to sexually transmitted diseases, etc. Sometimes, douching, using scented soaps, using cosmetics with glycerin and wearing tight clothes may also result in a foul smelling vajaja. Whatever the reason may be, vaginal odour can be really embarrassing, so it's best to get rid of it ASAP. Below are some home remedies to get rid of vaginal odour.
Also read: Vaginal washing – How safe is it
- Drink plenty of water: Drinking enough water is one of the best ways to cure vaginal odour. Try to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water or 2 liters of water every day to get rid of the foul smell. Water flushes out the toxins and bacteria from the body thereby rinsing us clean from within. Drinking ample water also helps to clean out the excess sugar from the body which could be one of the main factors that cause vaginal odour.
- Eat yogurt: Yogurt is high in lactobacillus (good, healthy bacteria) content, and thus it helps maintain a healthy pH balance in and around the vaginal walls. Try to eat 1 or 2 servings of fresh yogurt daily.
- Use tea tree oil: Tea tree oil is one of the best herbal remedies for a foul smelling vagina. It is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and helps cure infections. Dilute 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil in a mug of water and wash your lady bits with the solution, pat dry. Alternatively, you could soak a tampon in the solution and then wear it as normal for 10 minutes. Ensure you do this when you are not on your monthly periods cycle.
- Use fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek is also a great remedy for vaginal odour. Besides, it has many other benefits for women; for instance: it helps to maintain a proper hormone level and regularizes the menstrual cycle. Soak 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in 1 glass of water, strain and drink the water on an empty stomach the next morning. You can also use the water to wash your vaginal area.
- Apply garlic paste: If the reason behind your smelly vagina is an infection like UTI or yeast infection, then garlic paste may be your solution. Make a paste with garlic and apply it topically around your vaginal opening, the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties in garlic will take care of the infection. You may have to take a shower after this remedy unless you want your vagina smelling of garlic.
- Do a neem rinse: Boil a few neem leaves with lots of water and a few drops of neem oil and let it cool down. Wash your privates with the water and continue this for a week.
- Take a sitz bath: A sitz bath is a warm, shallow bath for your perineum. Fill a tub with warm water and sit in it for 20 minutes. This is great for everyday personal hygiene and is best done before a shower. It cleans your rectum, perineum, and the vulva or scrotum.
- Use baking soda: Mix 1 tbsp of baking soda in 1 glass of lukewarm water and wash your vagina with the solution after a shower. You can also add a spoon of baking soda to your sitz bath for a week.
- Add apple cider vinegar to your sitz bath: This is a great anti-bacterial that helps cure vaginal odour. Its acidic nature helps restore the natural acid levels of the vagina and balances the pH. Dilute a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar in a large jug of water and wash your privates with this solution.
- Use white vinegar in place of apple cider: If you can't find apple cider vinegar near where you live, use white vinegar instead. Add half cup of white vinegar and a spoonful of rock salt (or bath salts) in a bath tub, containing warm water and take a sitz bath in it.
Remember, a healthy vagina is not a smelly vagina. If these home remedies don't work for you, visit a qualified OB/gyn as there might be a deeper underlying issue.