10 Sensible Tips To Fight Sugar Cravings
Does the morning croissant leave you craving for another treat? Do you tend to grab a sweet candy bar in the afternoon to cope with the post-lunch slump? And then reach for your sweetened cappuccino for your post-slump slump? If you've found that munching sugary snacks just makes you crave more sugary snacks, you're not alone. But they almost as quickly leave you famished again and craving more so it's best that you curb the cravings for all the "unhealthy" stuff.
Also read: Make Your Own Wholesome Homemade Baby Food
If you're craving sugar every hour and need to fight it, here are some helpful tips:
- Start smart and give in just a little. Eat a bit of what you're craving, maybe a small cookie or a fun-size candy bar
- If the idea of stopping at just one cookie seems impossible to you, then try to combine it with a healthy food. If you're craving chocolate, instead of gorging down 5 chocolate bars, go for a chocolate fondue and dip healthy fruits or nuts in it.
- Go cold turkey. Then gradually train your taste buds to be satisfied with lesser sugar.
Also read: Quick and Healthy Oats Dosas
- If you want to avoid giving in to a sugar craving completely, try chewing a stick of gum as it can also reduce cravings.
- Pick a fruit instead. Fruits are healthier than most artificial sweeteners so keep fruits handy for when sugar cravings hit. You'll get fiber and nutrients along with some sweetness.
- Walk away from your craving. Yes, you heard me! Whenever you get a sugar craving, get up and go. Taking a walk gets your mind off the food you're craving for.
- Don't swear off favorites. If you promise not to touch your favorite lemon cheesecake, you'll only come back for greater portions. So instead of swearing off your favourite sweet, eat it in moderation.
- Ensure to eat regularly. Waiting for too long between meals may make you choose fatty and sweet foods to curb your hunger fast. And that will only add to your weight.
- Reward yourself for successfully managing sugar cravings. This way you'll be motivated to stay on track and not give up half-way.
Also read: Junk food made healthy
Don't let emotions get the better of you. Many people turn to sweet foods when they're stressed, depressed, or angry, but food can't solve your problems, can it? So call up a friend and give that ice cream a miss!