5 Quick and Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Thinking of breakfast, the popular quote "All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast" - John Gunther, comes to my mind. Now you may not know this famous American journalist, but you may have sure heard your mum yell in the mornings, "Finish your breakfast before you leave the house." This is because breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Early mornings can get tiresome if you have full-fledged cooking to do, and that is why we bring to you 5 quick and healthy breakfast recipes for a healthy morning.
Black Olive Pesto Sandwich
Walnut does wonders for the human brain. Black olive has anti-inflammatory nutrients and basil helps in blood formation. Together, they make for a super healthy breakfast meal!
- 1 tbsp chopped black olives
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted and chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 whole wheat buttered bread slices
- 4 cheese slices
- 16 tomatoes slices
- Salt and black pepper
- Blend basil leaves, walnuts, garlic, and salt in a mixer to a smooth paste using little water.
- Add the olives.
- Mix and divide the pesto into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- On a bread slice, spread a portion of the black olive pesto evenly.
- Place a cheese slice and 4 tomato slices over it.
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over it and sandwich with another slice of bread.
- Cut the sandwich into 2 equal pieces and serve with ketchup and fresh fruit juice.
Creamy Spinach Toast
A better option than a regular veg toast would be a creamy spinach toast for those who find the former way too dull, dry and slow to digest. Creamy spinach adds enough taste to appease your buds while contributing sufficient calories, fiber and proteins to get you going!
- 3 cups shredded spinach
- 1 tbsp low-fat butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 8 tsp grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in ¾ cup low-fat milk
- Heat butter in a non-stick pan, add onions, green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add spinach and cook on a medium flame for 2 mins.
- Add cornflour-milk mixture and salt, and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 2 mins while stirring continuously.
- Allow it to cool and divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Spread a portion of the topping on the toasted bread, sprinkle cheese and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400°F) for 8-10 minutes or till crisp.
- Cut each bread slice diagonally into 4 pieces and serve with tomato ketchup.
Green Pea Pancakes
Enjoy these crisp yet spongy pancakes early in the morning before starting your day. The combination of green peas with moong dal helps to enhance the fiber and protein content of this recipe. Serve hot with carrot garlic chutney.
- 1 cup soaked yellow moong dal
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tsp chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tsp oil for cooking
- Salt to taste
- Blend the soaked moong dal, green peas, chillies, coriander and ginger in a mixer using little water to make a thick batter.
- Transfer the batter into a deep bowl, add the onions and salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan and grease it using ¼ tsp oil.
- Pour a spoonful of the batter on it and spread in a circular motion across the pan.
- Cook till it turns light brown in colour from both the sides.
- Serve with carrot garlic chutney.
Carrot & Cheese Filled Idli
Plain idlis may be boring for an early morning breakfast taste. So spice it up! Add carrot and cheese stuffing to the idlis while you steam cook them and see how delicious they become!
- 3 cups idli dosa batter
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup of grated carrots
- Mix together grated carrot and cheese while you preheat the idli steamer with water.
- Grease idli plates with sesame oil. Fill in the idli batter in less than half the mould.
- Spoon in the carrot cheese mixture and spread it evenly on the batter. Finally, top this layer with another round of the idli batter to make a sandwich idli.
- Steam the idlis for about 10 minutes on high flame and turn off the heat.
- Remove the steamed idlis from the moulds and cut them into quarters.
- Serve the carrot & cheese filled idlis along with tomato onion chutney and enjoy.
Mixed Vegetable Cutlet
Packed with fresh assorted veggies, mixed vegetable cutlet is a house of ample nutrients and minerals. Simple to make, it serves as the perfect breakfast dish to complement your morning tea.
- 3 boiled & mashed potatoes
- 1 carrot peeled & grated
- 1 capsicum de-seeded and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp boiled peas
- 5 pods of garlic finely chopped
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon each coriander, red chili and garam masala powder
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Oil to shallow fry
- Salt to taste
- Mash the potatoes, carrots, capsicum, paneer, onion, garlic, ginger using a food processor.
- Add in the remaining ingredients except the oil and mix well.
- Shape this mixture into small balls and flatten them. Dip these cutlets in the bread crumbs.
- Preheat the frying pan on medium heat. Place the cutlets a few at a time on the skillet, drizzle oil on them and roast them until crisp and browned on both sides.
- Serve the hot mixed vegetable cutlets along with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
Enjoy these quick and healthy breakfast recipes and live a healthy life!