Lack of proper care, unhealthy lifestyle and bad or no hygiene habits could result in dark, discoloured and pigmented lips. Dehydration due to less water intake can also contribute to dark, dry and chapped lips. If you smoke, well, here’s another reason to quit smoking as it can also be the result of your darkened lips. Over use of cosmetics like lipstick, lip gloss, and lip balm that contain added colours and fragrance can also dry out your lips making them even darker. Dark lips look unhealthy and unsightly and it is understood why most people wish they had a soft, pink pout. If you’re among them, here are a few home remedies for discoloured lips!
1) Crush a handful pomegranate seeds and add a few drops of milk in them. Apply this mixture to your lips for soft pink lips.
2) Crush a few rose petals and mix with 1/4 teaspoon castor oil. This is one of the best home remedies for discoloured lips! Apply this mixture to your lips every night before going to bed.
3) Mix half a teaspoon fresh yogurt with a few strands of quality saffron to make a paste. Apply this paste on your lips and leave for 10 minutes. Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft face towel.
4) Scrub your lips with soaked (overnight) and grinded almonds for 5 minutes to remove the dead skin cells and make your lips softer and smoother.
5) Thinly slice a lemon and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes. Then massage your lips with the lemon slice for 5-10 minutes. Lemon is a natural bleach that will help lighten your lips effectively.
6) Mix half a teaspoon of table sugar with a pinch or two of coffee powder and some castor oil. Massage this mixture on your lips, it is the most gentle natural scrub that will, lighten, tighten and soften your lips. This scrub is so gentle than you can use it on your T-zone to get rid of blackheads as well!
7) Scoop out some fresh aloe vera gel and mix a few drops of honey to make a thick gel-like paste. Apply this paste to your lips and massage them together. Regular use will guarantee you soft and pink lips!
So those were the most effective home remedies for discoloured lips. But apart from that here are some don’ts that you must be aware of:
- Say ‘No’ to smoking and alcohol as these can darken your lips.
- Do not use cosmetic products with alcohol.
- Cut down on your caffeine intake as tea whether green or black, coffee, aerated drinks etc use up a lot of water from your body and leave your lips parched.
- Do not step out without wearing sunscreen (yes, even on your lips). Look for a 100% organic lip balm that contains SPF 30 or above and use it every day.
- Don’t use cosmetics on a daily basis. Cosmetic lip balms, glosses and lipstick can dry out your lips and make them darker. Instead, apply a drop of coconut or castor oil on your lips to keep them hydrated.
- Don’t lick your lips. Your saliva can dry them out further!