A Thyroid Patient's Diet
In today's world, thyroid imbalance is something very cliché, that every other person suffers from. It can affect anyone – from a two-year-old to a 102-year-old; but research has proven that women are more prone to it than men. It's a disorder that has nothing to blame, not even lifestyle. Yet, when people are affected with it, they decide to be hush-hush about it. Why, I don't understand.
Anyway, today we have some food diet tips for people who suffer from hypothyroidism as well as for those who suffer from hyperthyroidism.
Food items to stick to if you have Hypothyroidism (Low Thyroid function)
- Eat food rich in anti-oxidants and vitamin C; example: tomatoes, oranges, lemons, amla.
- Consume skimmed dairy products.
- Saltwater fish.
- Eat food that is rich in vitamin B and iron; example: whole grains, fresh vegetables, and sea vegetables.
- Consult your doctor before taking any vitamins/minerals supplements (especially iron) because they may interfere absorption of medication.
- Last but not the least; add iodized salt in your food.
Food to avoid for hypothyroidism:
- Avoid eating following food, raw: cabbage, broccoli, turnips, sarson ka sag, spinach, peaches, pears, strawberries, radishes and cauliflower. (You can eat them cooked, but have them in small quantities).
- Whole milk or heavy cream.
- Always remove Chicken skin before cooking it and keep red meat consumption to a minimum.
- Avoid eating too much butter.
- Avoid soy products.
Food items to stick to if you have hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid function)
- Cook with olive oil.
- Use honey as a sweetener.
- Eat lots of veggies and grains.
- Stick to whole wheat pasta and brown bread.
- Gorge on berries. They have a lot of anti-oxidants which build your immunity.
- Have fish, eggs, and mushrooms for your dose of Omega 3.
- Include a dairy product in your diet necessarily. This is because hyperthyroidism if escalated can lead to osteoporosis.
- Munch on beans and nuts for your daily dose of protein.
Foods to avoid in hyperthyroidism:
- Avoid soft drinks.
- Cut down on sugar, cane sugar, corn syrup and even chocolate…basically anything that contains concentrated sweeteners.
- Cut down on alcohol (and smoking if you do) and caffeine.
- Avoid usage of antibiotics.
- Reduce intake of Pasta and white bread.
- Stay away from red meat like mutton or pork.