Cosmetic And Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Unwanted Facial Hair
To tweeze or not to tweeze, that's the question! Excessive facial hair is a touchy subject with women; but let's face it – it's quite common. All women have a light superficial hair on our faces which is completely normal but for some of us (or most) it tends to get a bit coarse and dark in some places. This fuzz usually found on the sideburns, upper lip, the chin, and along the jawline is noticeable, and is probably one of the causes of emotional distress and confidence issues in women. There are various reasons for the unwanted fuzz, but most people agree that an excess of male hormones (which grow as we age) is the main cause. But the good news is that excess facial hair can be easily removed and/or camouflaged by cosmetic or natural remedies. If you have excess unwanted facial hair, here's how to deal with it.
If you want an easy one-sitting fixture for your facial fuzz, there are many cosmetic procedures that can help. Here are a few options:
- Makeup can easily hide the hair on your face. Use a quality concealer, foundation, highlighter on your face and contour it to make it seem more natural and less made-up. Ensure to apply the products in the direction of your hair growth and not ‘against the grain' as that would only make it more noticeable.
- If your facial hair is darker and makeup cannot cover it completely, you could try bleaching it. Visit your salon and ask for a facial bleach or get an at-home facial bleaching kit. Bleaching your facial hair will lighten them (and even your skin!) and make you look more even toned.
- Women who have sensitive skin must avoid bleaching, as chemicals present in them may cause skin irritation. A good option for such women may be to wax (flavoured waxing is much gentle on the face), tweeze or resort to threading for their facial hair removal. This method will keep facial fuzz at bay for at least 2 weeks.
- Depilatory creams are also an option for those who can't bear the painful waxing, tweezing and threading sessions. The most commonly sold depilatory creams in India are Veet and Anne French. They work by destroying the protein that makes our hair.
- Sometimes going for a hair removal treatment can be really frustrating. If you want a long-lasting remedy, then consider laser hair removal where a pulse light is cast on the hair follicles to kill them, or electrolysis where tiny needles are inserted in the follicles and destroyed by a slight electric shock. However, do consult your dermatologist before opting for these treatments.
Also read: All you need to know about Bikini Wax
Many women are joining the natural and organic revolution these days. Since chemicals are harmful for the skin and overall health, going au natural is a good idea. Here are some natural ways to remove facial hair.
- Apply a paste of turmeric powder and yogurt to your face every night before bed. This paste is said to reduce or slow down the hair growth on not just your face but your entire body! It's best to start this at an early age (your teen years maybe) and you'll have lesser or no facial hair to deal with.
- Gram flour or besan is a tried and tested method of removing hair. A medium thick paste of gram flour (besan), milk, and turmeric is applied to the area of skin that has superficial fuzz and left to dry. Once it is 60-70 % dry, it is removed by rubbing one's fingers constantly against the growth of hair to remove the hair.
- Sugaring is also a natural way to remove hair. It works like waxing but is natural because it does not contain any chemical, artificial molasses or gum. It is made with sugar, honey, lemon juice and water. The sticky paste is then applied to the skin and removed using a strip of cloth or on its own. This is better than waxing as it is not used while hot so there is no chance of accidental burns.
- Rubbing your skin with pumice stone may also get rid of the facial hair. Be careful though! Your facial skin is much more sensitive than the rest of your body.
- Another great home remedy for facial hair is egg white mask. Mix one egg white with a teaspoon each of powdered sugar and corn flour and apply to the area of unwanted hair growth. Let it dry and then peel off like a mask.
Also read: When Should You Visit Your Dermatologist
So there you have it! Choose a method that suits you and get rid of the unwanted fuzz! :)