Crunches, since always, are considered to be the best way to have a flat stomach. But some experts now believe that crunches burn little or no calories at all, and can only strain your back.
The best exercise for your abs is actually the one that puts strain on your muscles and helps them build, because your body cannot burn fat in isolation.
Here are some better workout options for rock hard abs. Remember to repeat each exercise at least 10 times.
1. Sit down with your right leg extended sideways, and the left leg bent inwards towards the right leg. Now raise both hands and start bending towards your right till you touch the right hand to your right leg’s feet. Stay in this position for 10 seconds. Repeat on the other side.
2. Lie on your back and place your palms just below your navel. Exhale and allow your stomach to expand as much as possible. Then pull your abdomen in and inhale so much that your belly button comes toward your spine. Hold for 10 seconds.
3. Lie down on your back, your palms touching the back of your head. Now stretch one leg at 60 degrees from the floor, and let the other leg fold close to your chest. Now, start moving both the legs as if you are cycling. To increase the effect, you can also bend forward and let your elbow touch the alternate knee (left elbow touches the right knee, and vice versa)
4. Lie face down on the floor with your elbows bent at right angle and your body supported by just your forearms and your toes. Try and hold on to this position for as long as you can.
5. Stand with your knees slightly bent and stick your arms out in front of you. Keep your arms straight. Twist your body from left to right. This maintains a proper balanced figure.