The inability to conceive is usually a life-shattering truth for a woman, and not being able to give birth to their own baby often causes a strain in the relationship that couples have shared so far. However, technological advancements have made it possible for mankind to realize their dreams. Gifting a childless couple a baby is no exception, and the answer is surrogacy. All you need to do is get in touch with the right agency for surrogates or an individual who would want to carry your baby.
Also read: Ready for a baby? Think again
Here are the factors that you must consider while choosing a surrogate:
You can talk to your friends and family members and request them to carry your child. If you have no such person(s) in mind or there is no one in your family or friend circle who is comfortable with the idea of being a surrogate, you can research online regarding some of the surrogate agencies available in your area. Browse through their websites and make a list of those that you think are reliable. Ensure that the surrogate meets the following specifications:
- Must be over the age of 21 years and have been through healthy pregnancy(s) before.
- Request the potential surrogates for references and conduct background checks.
Screening a surrogate
Run the following checks to ensure that the surrogate delivers a healthy baby:
- Conduct thorough medical checks, like blood tests and screenings for infectious diseases
- Thorough medical tests and other health certificates to ensure that she is healthy enough for a safe pregnancy
- The surrogate should be someone who shares your values, lifestyle, is not an alcoholic or drug addict and does not have any history of drug abuse
If you are an egg or sperm donor, tests also need to be conducted on you and your partner to ensure a healthy pregnancy and the health of your intended baby.
Also read: What Foods To Avoid When Pregnant
Be prepared for different situations that may arise
You and your partner must take necessary precautions to deal with any emergency that may occur during the course of pregnancy. Arrange for the following and keep them handy to handle different situations smoothly:
- Maintain frequent contact with the surrogate agency, if you have selected your surrogate through one
- Keep the health insurance handy
- Keep the contact numbers of a legal expert and a therapist handy
- You and your partner must have an honest conversation regarding how frequently the surrogate will be taken to the doctor, plans regarding a baby shower and payment issues, to prevent avoidable situations later.
Also read: Tips For Easy And Successful Childbirth
Plan the process wisely, and the experience of having your baby play in your lap would not be a distant dream.