Home Remedies To Relieve And Prevent Constipation
Most of us cringe at toilet humor but I promise this is not a funny, shitty joke. In fact, it is a serious condition. Constipation is not something to be embarrassed about for the simple reason that it is more common than you thought. People have potty problems all the time; it's just our good manners that we don't talk about it. But sometimes we have to, just so that someone somewhere, who is reading this article while sitting on the pot, can find some relief. If you're feeling constipated too, then here are some great home remedies and tips to cure the condition.
Psst… The best part is that these tips won't even let constipation come back anytime soon! ;)
- Olive oil: Olive oil is known to stimulate the digestive system which helps get your bowels moving through your colon. Take one tablespoon each of olive oil and lemon juice, mix it up and have it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If you can't stand the oiliness, then mix a tablespoon of orange juice and a little bit of honey in it and drink it in one gulp.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice also acts as a natural aid for constipation. Mix the juice of one lemon in half a cup of warm water and sip on it before going to bed. You'll thank us the next morning. You can also make a very light tea or green tea and have the lemon juice with it.
- Fibrous veggies: A natural and healthy diet that includes lots of fiber helps relieve and prevent constipation. Include fiber rich foods in your diet like whole grains, beans, berries, broccoli, plums, pears, apples, prunes, apricots, nuts, oranges and bananas.
Also read: Top 3 healthy cooking oils
- Flaxseed oil: Include some (f)laxatives in your diet. Flaxseed oil coats the walls of the intestines (and the stool) and increases the bowel movements, thus providing relief from constipation. Mix a tablespoon of flaxseed oil in a glass of fresh orange juice and sip on it in the morning.
- Aloe vera: Drinking 1 cup of aloe vera juice every morning will also help prevent constipation. Aloe vera is very soothing not just for our skin but also for our stomach.
- Epsom salt: Epsom salt (or rock salt aka jaada namak) is also a great home remedy for constipation as it draws water from its surroundings, softens up stool making it easier to pass. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt (1/2 tsp in case of children) in a large bottle of lukewarm water and sip on it all day.
- Yogurt: Healthy gut flora is essential to keep our digestive system working properly. The good bacteria in yogurt helps keep our body's supply of healthy bacteria strong and prevents constipation. Eat 2 cups of yogurt daily, with fruits or on its own, to get fast relief.
So now that you know what works, rock the squat and say goodbye to constipation!