Holi is almost here! So you are all ready for the fun? But what about your hair? Is your hair ready for Holi yet? Holi colours can wreck havoc on your delicate tresses and sometimes the damage is beyond repair. So it’s best to care for your hair and protect them from Holi colours to keep your hair look shiny and gorgeous.
Also read: Handy Skin Care Tips During Holi
Here are some tips on how to protect your hair before, after and during Holi:
- To avoid maximum hair damage during Holi, you need to start and stick to a good hair care regime. Oiling your hair every night before bedtime is a really good habit.
- Start your hair care a few days in advance. Use a concoction of coconut oil and a few drops of tea tree oil and massage it into your scalp and shaft at least 2 hours before shampooing.
- Mix one tablespoon of olive oil with 5-10 drops of rosemary essential oil and jojoba oil respectively. Apply this mixture to your hair a few hours before taking a shower and cover it with a hot towel for half an hour before washing.
- Use castor oil on your hair before stepping out to play Holi. Since castor oil is extremely thick and greasy, it acts as a protective shield on your hair. The layer of oil on your scalp and hair restricts the harmful chemicals present in the Holi colours to reach your hair follicle.
- Cover your head with a bandana or cap to protect it from the damage.
- If you have coloured or highlighted hair, you may need some extra protection. Apply coconut oil generously to your hair the night before Holi and when you are just about to go out, apply a dollop of leave in conditioner meant for chemically treated hair to your mane. Wrap a bandana around your head and you’re good to go.
- After Holi, be extra careful while washing youh hair. First use lots of plain water to wash away the color from your hair. Then apply conditioner and massage well. Wash off with cold water, and apply a good herbal shampoo with nourishing properties. Wash off and apply conditioner again (this time only to the hair shaft) and wash off.
- Using a hair rinse is a good way to balance the pH level of your scalp. Add the juice of one lemon to a large jug of water and use it as a final rinse after shampooing. You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil like lavender, rosemary, jojoba, or tea tree oil.
- Finally, do not use any chemical products on your hair for the next few days to ensure your hair remains strong and gorgeous.
Have a safe and happy Holi.