All You Need To Know About A Low Carb Diet
There is more and more curiosity among people these days about a low carb diet. It is highly recommended to people with diabetes and those who want to follow a healthy and fit lifestyle. So what does a low carb diet comprise of and what are its effects? Let's find out.
1) This is a diet plan with a lesser amount of carbohydrates, which helps in losing weight and reducing the blood sugar levels in the body.
Also Read: All You Need To Know About A Sirtfood Diet
2) A low carbohydrate diet can be categorized into three sections:
- Moderate carbohydrate: 131 to 225g of carbs/day
- Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs/day
- Very low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs/day
What You Can't Eat
While you are following a low carb diet there are certain food groups that you should completely avoid. Here is a list of things that you should absolutely stay away from.
1) Gluten Grains - Breads, pastas, barley, wheat and rye.
2) Sugar - Ice cream, sugared drinks, candy, fruit juices and the likes.
3) High Omega-6 Seed- and Vegetable Oils - Canola, grapeseeds, sunflower, cottonseed and soyabean oils.
4) Low Fat Products - Diary products, crackers, cereals, etc.
5) Artificial Sweetners - Saccharin, Cyclamates, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium and Aspartame. You can opt for Stevia leaves instead.
What To Eat
When you follow this diet, you reduce the intake of carbohydrates which makes your body convert the fats and proteins into energy thereby, helping you lose weight. So, during this diet plan these are the things that you can consume.
1) Fish - Trout, haddock, salmon, and others.
2) Nuts And Seeds - Walnuts, almonds, melon seeds and more.
3) Fruits - Ornages, apples, strawberries, pears.
4) Meats - Chicken, goat, lamb and others.
5) High-Fat Dairy - Yogurt, cheese, heavy cream and butter
6) Fats & Oils - Olive oil, lard, cod fish liver oil, butter and cocdonut oil
7) Vegetables - Cauliflower, spinach, carrots, broccoli, and many more.
Normally, a regular diet meal includes about 300 grams of carbohydrates per day. But, for this one you need to come down to about 175 grams of carbs per day. Suddenly switching to a low carb diet can also cause headaches, fatigue or constipation. So, make sure you consult a dietician before you go ahead with this kind of a diet change.
This is all you need to know about a diet plan with minimum carbohydrates. So, get started with your low carb diet today to lose those extra pounds.